Before Jesus was born, God was telling the world what kind of Messiah He would be. When Jesus lived on this earth, He showed us what God is like. Jesus personified God as our Everlasting Father. We all know the impact of a father. For some, the word “father” brings great thoughts, but for others, there are difficult memories. However, despite the shortcomings of our earthly fathers, God is the perfect Heavenly Father. God loves you with an everlasting love. Christmas is all about the love of our Heavenly Father: sending His Son so that we could become His children. The greatest Gift of all has been given to us. And, His Name is Jesus. Merry Christmas!
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6
Jesus as “Everlasting Father” shows us:
1. The impact of a Father.
Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4
- We all need the love and acceptance of a father.
- Don’t project the shortcomings of your earthly father onto your perfect heavenly Father.
2. Through Jesus, we are adopted into the Family of God.
But when the set time had fully come, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those under the law, that we might receive adoption to sonship. Galatians 4:4-5
- Before Jesus, we were in rebellion against God.
- Through Jesus, we are adopted into God’s Family.
3. Jesus shows us the Everlasting Father.
In the beginning, was the Word and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:1
- Jesus is the image of the invisible God.
- Jesus shows us how God responds to us.
4. As the Everlasting Father, Jesus promises to...
He will bring back many of the people of Israel to the Lord their God. And He will go on before the Lord in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the parents to their children...to make ready a people prepared for the Lord. Luke 1:16-17
- Provide for you.
- Protect you.
- Prepare you.
5. God loves us with an everlasting love.
See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called the children of God! And that is what we are! 1 John 3:1
- Our earthly fathers will not always be here, but God always will.
- Christmas is all about God’s everlasting love for you.
The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. John 1:14