Every Christian has an everyday armor to fight the everyday battle. This week we are reminded to take up the Shield of Faith that covers us from head to toe and extinguishes the flaming arrows that are meant to distract us from the truth of the Gospel and our calling to trust our Father who is faithful, powerful, good, loving, and near to those who call on Him. We are also reminded to put on the Helmet of Salvation that provides coverage for our minds leading us to take our thoughts captive and live out our new identity in light of eternity. Finally, as warriors ready for battle, we are to take up the Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God, treasuring God’s Word, and learning to skillfully handle God’s Word daily. Every Christian, every day is putting on the Armor for the everyday battle!
Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. Ephesians 6:10-11
The Everyday Armor of God equips you to stand strong when, not if, the schemes of the enemy come your way.
The Shield of Faith
- The Shield of Faith provides full coverage.
- “Faith is acting [or living] like it is so even when it is not so in order that it might be so simply because God said so.” - Tony Evans
- Flaming arrows are meant to cause distraction, diversions, and chaos.
- Our world says Fight Fire with Fire, God’s word says Fight Fire with Faith.
- The shields are strongest in community.
The Helmet of Salvation
- No soldier was ready for battle without his helmet, the helmet gives confidence and assurance.
- Salvation refers to our rescue, restoration, and security.
- This is a call for us to live every day from our identity in light of eternity.
- The helmet also provides coverage for our minds and helps us take our thoughts captive.
The Sword of the Spirit
- The Bible is the only offensive weapon for a Christian.
- The Bible alone is a completely sufficient weapon for every Christian.
- If we are going to be warriors who stand firm, we are going to have to be warriors who treasure and skillfully handle God’s Word.
- Treasuring God’s Word looks like time and submission.
- Skillfully handling God’s Word
- Hear it
- Read it
- Study it
- Meditate on it
- Memorize it
- Speak it.