Jesus is drawing us to Himself. In the midst of the challenges, God is at work. We all have doubts and questions. God can handle these. Doubt is not sin, but God allows doubt in order to lead us to truth. Thomas, one Jesus’ first disciples, had doubts. But, when Thomas met Jesus after His Resurrection, everything changed. Thomas no longer lived with fear, but lived with faith in the God who raised Jesus from the dead. What do you believe about Jesus? If you truly believe Jesus is your Lord and Savior, then your confession of faith will change how you live. Let’s live with faith and boldness in the One who still changes lives today.
“Now Thomas (also known as Didymus), one of the Twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord! But he said to them, ‘Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe.’” John 20:24-25
1. Doubt is the seedbed of faith
“But he said to them, ‘Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand in his side, I will not believe.” John 20:25
- Thomas had doubt.
- Doubt is not a sin.
- God can handle our questions.
- Doubt leads us to truth.
2. Doubt is meant to draw you closer to God.
“A week later the disciples were in the house again, and the disciples were with them.” John 20:26
- Thomas showed up for church.
- Bring your doubt to Jesus.
- Doubt is not the opposite of faith; unbelief is the opposite of faith.
3. Doubt leads us to a point of commitment.
“Stop doubting and believe.” John 20:27
- Jesus met Thomas in his doubt, and called Thomas to believe.
- It is okay to have doubt, but at some point you must make a decision.
- No decision is a decision.
- Jesus has come to you. What do you believe about Jesus?
4. Faith in Jesus changes your life!
“Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!” John 14:28
- Thomas declares his faith in Jesus!
- This is a personal commitment - “my Lord and my God.”
- We move from living in fear to living with faith.
- Set your eyes and heart on Jesus.
“Jesus performed many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not recorded in this book. But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.” John 20:30-31