So often we live for the temporary. We spend so much of our time focused on the things of this world that will not last. We become consumed with money, shopping, sports, and more. And, while these things are not bad in and of themselves, they can take our eyes off of the bigger picture. Jesus wants us to focus on Him. He gives us glimpses of the eternal that really matters. There are only three things that are eternal: God, His Word, and people. Where are you investing your life? As a disciple of Jesus, invest your life in what will last forever. Focus on Jesus.
1. The Best is Still to Come.
After six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John with Him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone. There He was transfigured before them. Mark 9:2
- Moses represents the Law and Elijah the Prophets, but Jesus is greater.
- Jesus gives us glimpses of the bigger picture to encourage His disciples.
- Heaven is more wonderful than we can even imagine.
- Focus on Jesus and don’t get distracted by the things of this world.
2. Keep Growing in Your Faith.
Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief.” Mark 9:24
- Jesus calls us to a life of faith.
- Everything is possible with God.
- “If you can?” said Jesus. “Everything is possible for one who believes.” Mark 9:23
- The best thing we can do for others is to bring them to Jesus.
- What are you praying for God to do?
- He replied, “This kind can come out only by prayer.” Mark 9:29
3. Invest Your Life in What Matters.
He took a little child whom He placed among them. Taking the child in His arms, He said to them, “Whoever welcomes one of these little children in My name welcomes Me…” Mark 8:36-37
- Invest in the next generation.
- Don’t simply invest your life in the temporary.
- Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:19-21
- Keep the main thing the main thing.
- Salt is good, but if it loses its saltiness, how can you make it salty again? Have salt among yourselves and be at peace with each other. Mark 9:50
- Live your life for the bigger picture.
- But seek first His Kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:33