The fifth purpose of the church is ministry. Many times we think that ministry is reserved for those on a church staff –for the “professional” ministers. In reality, God calls all followers of Jesus to be ministers. Ministry is when we help and serve others in the name of Jesus. Every Christ-follower has spiritual gifts to use for God’s glory. May we step out in faith and minister to those God has put around us, starting at home, then in His Church, then in our community, and, finally, to all we meet. When we become involved, this is where the Christian life becomes a great adventure!
1. God uses ordinary people to accomplish His extraordinary work.
For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10
- God is not looking for your ability but your availability.
- In your relationship with God, there is salvation and then sanctification.
- God has a plan and a purpose for your life.
2. God equips you for your ministry.
Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. 1 Corinthians 12:1
- When you become a Christ-follower, God places His Holy Spirit in you.
- There are gifts of the Spirit.
- Understanding and using your spiritual gifts is an important part of your spiritual journey.
3. Ministry is for all Christ-followers.
So Christ Himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors, and teachers to equip His people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Ephesians 4:11-13
- Ministry is not only for professional ministers.
- You were created to be involved.
- What keeps people from ministry?
- Thinking they are not needed, fear, busyness, and sacrifice.
4. Ministry is about helping others.
And do not forget to do good and to share with others for with such sacrifices God is pleased. Hebrews 13:16
- Ministry is where the Christian life becomes a great adventure!
- Ministry is where you see God save people.
- Ministry is where God’s Church grows.
5. Ministry calls you to step out in faith.
In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the Gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:4-6
- God is not finished with any of us.
- There is always a “next step” of faith for us to take.
- Ministry is how we grow to be like Jesus.
This morning we have the joy and privilege of sharing in Communion, the Lord’s Supper, together. Before Jesus shared the Passover meal with His disciples, Jesus washed their feet. Jesus set an example of service and ministering to others. Then, Jesus invited His disciples to receive the bread, “Christ’s Body broken for us,” and the cup, “His Blood poured out for us.” May we share Communion with gratitude and in remembrance of Jesus.